There are TONS of low-carb, keto-friendly pancake recipes floating around the internet. I first tried some version of the “cream cheese and egg” pancake and loved them …but their not quite pancakes. They’re pancake-like, certainly. But for me, they always came out flat and tasting just a little TOO much like eggs to really be a replica of the fluffy breakfast pastry.
Still, the recipe was a good starting point. With a little tweaking, I was able to come up with something just a little closer to the real thing.
Oh, and the best part? It’s still a simple recipe and pretty quick to make. Not to mention that it’s a flexible recipe. Throw in blueberries, use it for waffles, omit the cinnamon and vanilla and make some bread …the options are endless!
- 4oz.cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp sugar substitute (optional) (I recommend Low Carb Natural Sweetener – Powdered Erythritol (Confectionery) – LC Foods – Paleo – Gluten Free – Diabetic Friendly – Low Carb Sugar – 9.1 oz )
- 4 tbsp coconut flour (I use Organic Gluten-Free Coconut Flour )
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 dash cinnamon (optional)
- almond/coconut milk, or heavy cream as needed (to thin out a batter that may be too thick!)
- Combine cream cheese, eggs, vanilla, sugar substitute, and cinnamon with a blender or hand mixer.
- Add baking powder and coconut flour until well combined
- Please note * the batter may thicken if left for to sit for more than a few minutes. If this happens, add a splash of almond/coconut milk or heavy cream to thin it out again.
- Use a greased pan over medium heat, pour batter to form circle.
- Flip pancakes when the edges begin to harden and surface begins to bubble (2-3 minutes per side)
Yields 4 Pancakes. (I usually find that I can eat 2 at a time)
Nutrition Facts (1 pancake = 1 serving): 3g net carbs – 14.8g fat – 9.3 g protein – 202 calories